Fund for the Future Capital Campaign
A Fund for the Future
Spurred by a $250,000 challenge from a generous benefactor, the two-year capital campaign beginning in September 2011 will create an endowment that will provide the financial foundation for Old Post Road to sustain and enhance its artistic and educational activities and to undertake compelling long-range musical projects.
Passion for Performance
Musicians of the Old Post Road was founded in 1989 with the unique idea of bringing period instrument performances of Baroque, Classical and early Romantic music to historical buildings along the route of the old Boston Post Road.
The annual Old Post Road concert series has brought more than 200 performances of fascinating and rediscovered repertoire to beautiful and historical spaces in communities small and large. The artistry of the ensemble’s performances and five CD recordings has been hailed by critics regionally, nationally, and internationally, with the BBC Music Magazine citing its “scintillating performances of sentiment and sparkle.”
Commitment to Scholarship and Innovation
The rediscovery of works lost to audiences for centuries is a key element of the group’s mission. This rare repertoire — which is uncovered through careful research and reclaimed through meticulous transcription of scores — is in turn woven into concert programs built around original themes that reveal the cultural milieu of the period of the works. Old Post Road has established a strong reputation for innovative programming through this research and scholarship. Notable accomplishments include:
- Regional and national premieres of over 50 rediscovered chamber works
- The creation of nearly 100 original, thematic concert programs
- Recordings of previously unrecorded repertoire, including Classical Viennese chamber music with double bass, Hummel’s original settings of folk songs, high Baroque trio sonatas and quartets, and Spanish villancicos and cantatas
- Publication of unique sheet music editions of 13 of these heretofore unavailable works
Recognized for Excellence and Originality
- Winner of the 1998 Noah Greenberg Award from the American Musicological Society
- Recipient of a Chamber Music America programming award for the concert program Music of Statesmen
- Recipient of a project award from the U.S.–Mexico Fund for Culture for a series of concerts and a recording of rediscovered works by Juan and José Pla
- Invitations to perform in festivals and prestigious concert series worldwide, including the Tage Alter Musik festival in Regensburg, Germany, and the Early Music Festivals of Boston and of Indianapolis
The Excitement of Educational Outreach
The ensemble regularly presents at inner-city elementary schools in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood on a non-fee basis, enhancing school curricula by bringing cultural enrichment experiences not otherwise available to students in budget stretched schools. In addition, the ensemble has held residencies at Madison Park High School (Boston), Berwick Academy (South Berwick, ME) and Dartmouth College.
An endowment will provide critical annual support for the organization’s operations. Through this Capital Campaign, the organization will be better positioned to focus its efforts on continued artistic development and contributions to cultural enrichment through:
- Increasing research that uncovers fascinating neglected repertoire
- Developing concert programs that highlight this repertoire and bring it to life for audiences in performance
- Preserving the repertoire through recordings
- Encouraging the performance of these works through the publication of sheet music
- Continuing the Kids Come Free program, which provides free admission to series concerts for students
- Expanding the Old Post Road website to offer cross-disciplinary curricular materials that make use of its research for social studies, mathematics, language skills, and music teachers, among others. A worldwide audience will be served through podcasts, audio recordings, videos, articles, and interactive content.
Strike a chord for Old Post Road’s continuing success
The Fund for the Future campaign aims to raise $750,000 to establish a solid foundation for OPR’s future. With your support, we will be able to continue the exciting musical discoveries, outreach programs, and intimate performances that New England audiences have come to cherish. Will you join us? Donate today!
Fund for the Future giving levels
VISIONARY ..............$100,000 and above
DREAM BUILDER ....$50,000 to $99,999
GUARDIAN ..............$25,000 to $49,999
PILLAR ....................$10,000 to $24,999
PACESETTER ...........$5,000 to $9,999
STEWARD ................$1,000 to $4,999
ADVOCATE ...............up to $999
Ways to give
Make a cash gift: Checks payable to Musicians of the Old Post Road can be mailed to the address below.
Online donations to the Capital Campaign are accepted at www.oldpostroad.org/campaign.
Make a pledge: Give via personally customized installments over 1–3 years.
Donate securities/stocks: An excellent asset to use, with potential tax benefits. See oldpostroad.org/donation for details.
Make a bequest: A planned gift can be designated for Old Post Road’s
Capital Campaign. See oldpostroad.org/donation for details.
Use our contact form.
Come with us on this musical adventure
Welcome to this community of Old Post Road enthusiasts. When you join, as an additional benefit, you will receive email notices of new postings and access to exclusive content, including audio downloads, articles, program notes, and more.